Art Quilt Australia 2023 is a juried exhibition with $9000 in prize money. All selected entries are automatically eligible for consideration for the $4000 OZQN Award of Excellence (non-acquisitive). Entries into the wool quilt category are eligible for the $4000 Expressions:Wool Quilt Prize where the winning work is acquired by the National Wool Museum for its permanent collection. There are also $500 awards for Highly Commended in both categories.
Art Quilt Australia 2023 is open to residents of Australia and New Zealand and OZQN members worldwide. Entries close on 2 June 2023 at 5pm (Perth time). Submission is via the online entry form only.
- Online AQA2023 Entry Form opens 15 March 2023
- Download Conditions of Entry
Art Quilt Australia 2023 will be on exhibition at the National Wool Museum, Geelong, Victoria from Friday 11 August until Sunday 12 November 2023.
Art Quilt Australia 2023 seeks to promote excellence and originality in contemporary art quilts in Australia with an added emphasis on quilts made of wool. Works will be assessed in terms of originality, composition, content and execution by a jury of acknowledged experts: Dr Anne Farren, Beth Miller and Dr Moira G. Simpson.
Highlights from the Conditions of Entry
- Categories: Entrants may enter one quilt in each category and either or both may be selected for exhibition:
- Open Category, where OZQN defines a quilt as a stitched layered textile incorporating any material and employing any technique; and
- Wool Quilt Category. where the NWM defines a wool quilt as a stitched layered non-traditional textile employing any technique and made predominantly of wool with at least 60% of the visible surfaces (front and back) composed of wool
- No theme: The exhibition has no theme so you are free to develop your own ideas and put forward the best work from your portfolio.
- Size: Large quilts are encouraged. Maximum height 250cm. Maximum width 200cm. Minimum perimeter 300cm (sum of all sides). For unusually sized or shaped works, including 3-dimensional and sculptural works, please contact AQA2023@ozquiltnetwork.org.au before submitting your entry to verify that it can be accommodated if it has been selected.
- Completion Date & Exhibition: Quilts must have been completed after 30 April 2021 and must not have been exhibited elsewhere in Victoria.
- Expressions: The Wool Quilt Prize: To be eligible for this acquisitive prize, the quilt must be entered into the Wool Quilt Category and available for acquisition.
- Sales: Quilts may be for sale. The nominated sale price must include 20% commission that is payable to OZQN.
- Fees: The entry fee for OZQN members is $30 for up to two quilts and for non-members the fee is $50. Artists selected must also pay an extra contribution of $30 per work for OZQN members and $40 per work for non-members. Payment may be made by credit card or direct deposit.
- Copyright: There is a comprehensive section about intellectual property and copyright, to protect the rights of artists while permitting OZQN and the National Wool Museum to best promote the exhibition and the artists whose work has been selected.
- Photography: Clear, high quality photography is ESSENTIAL. The work should appear as you would wish it to be reproduced in the catalogue and other media. Images must be at least 1800 pixels on the longest side. The online entry form accepts images up to 5MB in size each.
- 15 March 2023 Online entry opens.
- 2 June 2023 Entries close at 5pm (Perth time)
- 7 July 2023 Notification of selection by e-mail
- 31 July-4 August Delivery of work by Australia Post to NWM, Geelong, VIC
- 11 August 2023 Exhibition opens 2.00pm. Opening event and award of prizes
- 13 November 2023 Exhibition closes
- 15 December 2023 Latest date for return of work
We look forward to receiving your entry for Art Quilt Australia 2023. Please direct any queries to AQA2023@ozquiltnetwork.org.au