Art Quilt Australia 2021 is a juried exhibition with over $6000 in prize money. All selected entries are automatically eligible for consideration for the $3000 Award of Excellence (non-acquisitive). Entrants submitting complying wool quilts (see below) may also nominate their work for the $3000 Expressions:Wool Quilt Prize where the winning work is acquired by the National Wool Museum for its permanent collection. There are also $500 awards for Highly Commended in both categories.
Art Quilt Australia 2021 is open to residents of Australia and New Zealand and OZQN members worldwide. Entries close on 30 April 2021 at 5pm (Perth time). Submission is via the online entry form only.
- Online AQA2021 Entry Form including secure payment by credit card
- Download Conditions of Entry
Art Quilt Australia 2021 will be on exhibition at the Shoalhaven Regional Gallery at Nowra NSW from 12 June until 3 July 2021, followed by the Yarra Ranges Regional Museum at Lilydale, Victoria from 7 August until 31 October 2021.
Art Quilt Australia 2021 seeks to promote excellence and originality in contemporary art quilts in Australia. Works will be assessed in terms of originality, composition, content and execution by a jury of acknowledged experts: artists Lisa Call andJulie Ryder and curator/educator Bronwyn Coulston.
Highlights from the Conditions of Entry
- Quilt definition: For the purposes of this exhibition, a quilt is defined as “a stitched, layered textile incorporating any material and employing any technique“.
- No theme: The exhibition has no theme so you are free to develop your own ideas and put forward the best work from your portfolio.
- Size: Large quilts are encouraged. Maximum height 250cm. Maximum width 200cm. Minimum perimeter 300cm (sum of all sides). For unusually sized or shaped works, please contact AQA2021@ozquiltnetwork.org.au before submitting your entry to verify that it can be accommodated if it has been selected.
- Completion Date & Exhibition: Quilts must have been completed in 2019, 2020 or 2021and must not have been exhibited elsewhere in NSW.
- Expressions: Wool Quilt Prize: To be eligible for this acquisitive prize, quilts must be non-traditional; be made predominantly of wool (including all layers and materials); have at least 60% wool on the visible quilt surface; and nominated on the entry form.
- Sales: Quilts may be for sale. The nominated sale price must include 20% commission that is payable to OZQN.
- Fees: The entry fee for OZQN members is $30 for up to two quilts and for non-members the fee is $50. Artists selected must also pay an extra contribution of $25 per work for OZQN members and $35 per work for non-members. Payment may be made by credit card or direct deposit.
- Copyright: There is a comprehensive section about intellectual property and copyright, to protect the rights of artists while permitting OZQN, the National Wool Museum, Shoalhaven Regional Gallery and the Yarra Ranges Regional Museum to best promote the exhibition and the artists whose work has been selected.
- Photography: Clear, high quality photography is ESSENTIAL. The work should appear as you would wish it to be reproduced in the catalogue and other media. Images must be at least 1800 pixels on the longest side. The online entry form accepts images up to 5MB in size each.
- 1 February 2021: Online entry opens
- 30 April 2021: Deadline for online entries (5pm Perth time)
- 16 May 2021: Notification of selection
- 25 May-1 June 2021: Delivery of work to Shoalhaven Regional Gallery, Nowra, NSW by Australia Post
- 12 June 2021: Exhibition opens 2.00pm. Opening event and award of prizes
- 3 July 2021: Exhibition closes at Shoalhaven Regional Gallery
- 7 August 2021: Exhibition opens Yarra Ranges Regional Museum, Lilydale, Victoria
- 31 October 2021: Exhibition closes at Yarra Ranges Regional Museum
- 30 November 2021: Latest date for return of work from Yarra Ranges Regional Museum
We look forward to receiving your entry for Art Quilt Australia 2021. Please direct any queries to AQA2021@ozquiltnetwork.org.au
Leave a Reply