THREADS OF CHANGE: ART QUILTS Ozquilt Network Inc Conference 2014
24-26 October 2014 Adelaide, South Australia
Ozquilt Network’s 2014 annual conference event 'threads of change: Art quilts' takes place 24-26 October 2014 in Adelaide.
- FRIDAY 24 OCTOBER: The program takes off on Friday with exclusive delegates-only specialist tours of Art Lab, the high regarded South Australian conservation facility, and the SA Migration Museum. Delegates will be given some wonderful insights, with tours focusing on quilts and textiles. The gala opening of Australia Wide 4 and the Ozquilt Network Founders exhibition fills Friday evening with bonus on-site music and theatre added to the mix.
- SATURDAY 25 OCTOBER : Our keynote speaker for 'threads of change: Art quilts' is Kirsten Phillips, senior textile conservator from Art Lab. To start the countdown to the Ozquilt Network 25th Anniversary year (Nov 2015-Nov 2016) Saturday’s program will bookend presentations by world renowned textile maker and Ozquilt Network foundation member, Alvena Hall , plus a modern look as stitched and layered textiles by a young maker. Lunch will be followed by a presentation where Brenda Gael Smith gives expert insights into using technology in your creative practice.
- SUNDAY 26 OCTOBER: On Sunday, delegates may choose from an all-day art development workshop and a delegates-only special morning visit to the T’arts Collective gallery which will feature quilts and textiles for the duration of the conference.
'Threads of change: Art quilts' is a shorter conference, allowing opportunities for extra personal activities if delegates have time to spare. Adelaide is a wonderful city to visit, and the delegate registration pack has up to the minute recommendations to make the most of any extra days.
Later this month, a personal registration pack will be sent to each OZQN member and to all non-member delegates at previous conference.
Hidden Places – From the Escarpment to the Plains: textile art by Judy Wilford
New England Regional Art Museum 27 June 2014 to 3 August 2014.
Opening 6pm on 27 2014
The works cover aspects of the Northern Tablelands depicting the topography of the region, the seasonal changes and colours, the variations of weather and light revealing and concealing features of the land and of Birds and their Habitats. The work uses various techniques of layered fabrics and layered and intricately detailed hand embroidery .There are 29 works of varied techniques such as Layered Fabrics and detailed Hand Embroidery.
The Fabric Trail – the journey of five textile artists
Presented by SALT (South Australian Living Artists
The Effective Living Centre, 26 King William Rd
Opening Friday 1 August 6-9pm. On exhibition until Wed 20th August
Open Tues 10am-3pm, Wed 10am – 3pm, Fri 10am-3pm and Sat 10am-5pm
TELLING STORIES of people and place
The Gallery, Wanneroo Library and Cultural Centre, 3 Rocca Way, Wanneroo
Saturday August 2 – Sunday August 10
Gallery hours – Tuesday to Friday 10AM - 4PM, Saturday and Sunday 12PM to 4PM
Following a six month residency with the City of Wanneroo Museum, Wendy Lugg is returning to exhibit in the City’s major gallery space. Wendy has invited six other artists, including quilt-makers Marjorie Coleman and Michele Eastwood, to join her in sharing stories of people and places that matter deeply to them. Artworks can tell rich and evocative stories. The exhibition will feature a variety of media including textiles, cyanotype, digital print, jewellery and painting.
LIVING COLOUR! a travelling textile art exhibition
Living Colour is a travelling exhibition of 32 vibrant contemporary textile works, in 100cm x 40cm (LxW) banner format, exploring the title theme curated by Brenda Gael Smith and including works by the following Ozquilt Network members: Jenny Bacon, Sandra Champion, Sue Dennis, Robyn Eves, Dianne Firth, Suzanne Gummow, Kay D Haerland, Julie Harding, Linden Lancaster, Susan Mathews, Carolyn Sullivan and Phyllis Sullivan.
- Bunker Cartoon Gallery, Coffs Harbour, NSW: 8 August (opening 6pm) – 13 September 2014
- Brisbane Craft & Quilt Fair: 8-12 October 2014
- South Australia Festival of Quilts: 13-16 November 2014
- Grenfell Art Gallery, Grenfell, NSW: 22 November-20 December 2014
- Quilt Symposium Manawatu, Palmerston North, New Zealand: 15-21 January 2015
- Northart Gallery, Auckland, New Zealand: Wednesday 28 January (opening 6pm) – 11 February 2015
- Gosford Regional Gallery, Gosford: 18 April-27 May 2015